Richmond Waldorf School is committed to socioeconomic diversity. Each family’s financial contribution to the school is important, and every child’s tuition adds to the welfare of our community.
The primary responsibility for financing a child’s education rests with the family, and we seek families who are committed to making this important investment in their child’s future. The school expects that parents pursue all other sources of help to make tuition payments before turning to the school for tuition adjustment. When a family has exhausted other channels, they may apply for tuition adjustment.
Tuition Adjustment Information
Applications for tuition adjustment are evaluated separately from the admissions process and only after a student has been accepted. All information about tuition adjustment applicants is confidential, and no identifying information is provided to the committee. Awards are determined by considering each applicant family’s need in relation to other applicants’ needs and the tuition adjustment budget. The amount awarded is generally capped at 45% of annual tuition. Grants are made annually and a new application is required each year, as family circumstances and the program’s allotment may change. Not all families will necessarily be awarded adjustment, and the school cannot guarantee tuition adjustment for every year of a child’s enrollment.
- Tuition adjustment is available to families with demonstrated financial need.
- Children must be enrolled or have completed the application process prior to applying for adjustment.
- A family will receive all other tuition discounts for which they are eligible, including but not limited to multi-child discount and tuition remission, before being considered for tuition adjustment.
- Tuition adjustment is available only to families who meet these requirements:
– Child is in Grades program, final year of the Early Childhood program, or in Early Childhood program with an older sibling in the Grades program
– Family is current on all tuition and fee payments
– Application materials are received by the deadlines
Tuition Adjustment Process
We use School and Student Services (SSS) to process tuition adjustment applications. SSS is a service of the National Association of Independent Schools. Based on the financial information provided, SSS gives an estimated amount that each family can contribute to educational costs based on household income, savings, investments, assets, home equity, and other expenses. This helps the school make fair and objective tuition adjustment decisions. To begin the tuition adjustment application for the 2016-17 enrollment year, please follow the steps below.
- To register, go to http://sssbynais.org/parents. Our School Code is 1672.
- Click on the prompt to begin completing the Parents’ Financial Statement (PFS). Families need to submit only one PFS even if several children are applying to RWS.
- Each family will be given a secure username and password and may return to the PFS at a later date before submitting.
- Please follow instructions about providing backup documents. Richmond Waldorf School requires copies of the current year’s tax return, W2s, or 1099s and any attached schedules.
Two Household Families
In families where parents are not married or not living together, we may ask that both custodial and non-custodial parents fill out separate applications. Generally, if there is a child support agreement in place, the amount can be indicated on the application. If there is no support agreement, then both parents will need to fill out the SSS forms and provide tax returns. It is the responsibility of the custodial parent to send forms to the non-custodial parent. Please contact the Administrative Director at with questions or to make alternate arrangements.
Financial Changes Mid-Year
A family experiencing new financial difficulties after its adjustment eligibility and amount have been determined may appeal to the Executive Committee of the Board of Trustees for additional adjustment. Please be aware, however, that there are times when the entire allotment of adjustment for the year has been expended. Nevertheless, the family should mail, e-mail or deliver a written, detailed description of the financial change, expected duration, possible solutions, and specific amount of additional adjustment requested to the school’s office to the attention of the Administrative Director.
A family experiencing an improvement in their financial situation is required to notify RWS with an offer to reduce the amount of the tuition adjustment awarded. It is considered fraudulent not to do so.
Request for Information
To start a conversation about your child’s enrollment, attend an open house, or schedule a personal tour, please contact the admissions office by filling out the form below.